The Master of Science (MS) in Energy, Environmental & Chemical Engineering is typically a two-year degree program where the student completes coursework and may engage in research under the supervision of a faculty member.

We welcome all interested applicants with a bachelor’s degree in engineering, physical sciences or life sciences. The degrees can be completed through one of three pathways.

Degree pathways

Complete all coursework requirements outlined below.

Complete all coursework requirements outlined below, complete 6 credits of independent study, and submit a research report to your research advisor and external reviewer for approval. The research report is not formally published.

Complete all coursework requirements outlined below, complete 6 credits of master’s research, submit a thesis to your committee for formal acceptance, and successfully defend your thesis work. The thesis will be published through the McKelvey School of Engineering.

Degree logistics

The core course structure is the same for all MS in EECE degree pathways, except that 6 units of research courses are selected for the research project and thesis options in place of electives credits. A total of 30 credits is required for graduation (24 credits of coursework and 6 credits of research for the research project and thesis options). Students who have not taken engineering-level mathematics (2-3 semesters of calculus + 1 semester of differential equations) as part of their bachelor's degree could take these courses prior to taking any of the MS program's core or advanced mathematics courses. Any math courses taken solely in preparation for the core courses will likely be at the undergraduate level, however, and will not count towards this graduate degree.

Curriculum structure

  • Core courses (15 units), some of which can be selected from a menu of options (see program description document for details)
  • Elective courses (9 or more units) chosen with the approval of the advisor
  • Thesis research or non-thesis research (6 or more units)
  • All courses comprising the required 30 credits must be taken for a grade (i.e., cannot be taken pass/fail), and a minimum GPA of 2.75 is required for graduation

In addition to classes, students are advised to attend EECE seminars held on Fridays at 11 a.m. The EECE department also hosts a career fair each fall semester.

MS in EECE coursework requirements
A total of 30 required credits for coursework only or 24 credits + 6 credits research for research project and thesis options)
  1. Transport Phenomena in Energy, Environmental and Chemical Engineering (E44 EECE 501, Spring)
  2. Mathematical Methods in Engineering (E44 EECE 503, Fall)
  3. Technical Core (choose 3, 3 credit classes)
    1. Advanced Thermodynamics in EECE (E44 EECE 502, Fall)
    2. Aerosol Science and Technology (E44 EECE 504, Fall)
    3. Aquatic Chemistry (E44 EECE 505, Fall)
    4. Kinetics and Reaction Engineering Principles (E44 EECE 507, Spring)
    5. Bioprocess Engineering I: Fundamentals & Applications (E44 EECE 506, Spring)
  4. Elective Classes: Minimum number to make up either 30 or 24 credits of total coursework (depending on degree option) should be chosen with approval of the advisor
    1. Courses must be 400 level or higher, with a maximum of two 400-level courses (totaling no more than 6 credits)
  5. EECE Seminar: Up to 2 credits will count towards your coursework requirements.  Must be enrolled in and attend seminar during all semesters during residency in the program.

Get an inside look at EECE master's programs

The Master of Science (MS) in Energy, Environmental & Chemical Engineering empowers students to embark on successful careers in diverse industries. We welcome all interested applicants with a bachelor’s degree in engineering, physical sciences or life sciences. The degrees can be completed through one of three pathways: coursework only; research project; or thesis.

Degree focuses and expertise

To make students competitive in a broader range of industries, EECE developed diverse programs as a way to give your degree a “theme”. Options include the following:

  • Advanced Energy Technologies
  • Bioengineering and Biotechnology
  • Energy and Environmental Nanotechnology
  • Energy and Environmental Management
  • Environmental Engineering Science


Dual master’s programs

If you want to specialize with another master’s degree, it is relatively easy to do so at WashU. For a second master’s in the McKelvey School of Engineering, up to 15 credits can be shared between the degrees.

Learn more about the joint master’s programs and MBA with the Olin School of Business


MS “Along the Way” to a PhD

Doctoral students may also receive a Master of Science in EECE “along the way” in their PhD program.  They should have passed the PhD proposal defense, completed 30 units of required coursework, and published or submitted at least one peer-reviewed journal manuscript from their thesis research.


What can you do with a Master of Science in EECE?

The MS degree will help you to pursue your passion in a field of your choice. Our alumni have careers in a variety of in-demand areas such as:

  • Semiconductor industry
  • Environmental consulting
  • Pharmaceuticals
  • Petrochemical industry
  • Biorefining

Washington University and McKelvey School of Engineering provides broad support for student career development. The MS degree also prepares students who want to further their study by pursuing a doctoral degree.


International Students

E60-505 - Communication tools for Academic and Professional Success

McKelvey School of Engineering requires all incoming international students who submit a TOEFL or IETLS score or has not obtained a minimum of 3 years of education in the U.S. to take a course in communication. This new course was first offered in Fall of 2018. This course does not cost extra for full-time students and is not counted toward the degree or the GPA.

WashU hosts a diverse graduate student body. Extensive support can be found in the Office for International Students and Scholars. You can also contact a Student Ambassador for more information.