The education of the 21st century engineering student requires a global perspective and practical experience. In 2007, the department launched a program to enhance and enrich the experience of undergraduate students, and provide a focused International Experience (E33 EECE 411) to study issues related to energy and the environment in a global context and develop teamwork and leadership skills. Each year, students are selected for this program that will be guided by faculty from the Department of Energy, Environmental & Chemical Engineering. The highlight of the class is a summer visit to a city where partner schools of the McDonnell Academy Global Energy and Environmental Partnership (mageep.wustl.edu) are located. Students then register for the class in the following fall semester and engage in project discussions, presentations and report writing.
• Summer visit to a city where partner schools of the McDonnell Academy are located
• Students engage in project discussions, presentations and report writing
• Pre-visit orientation meetings and lectures
• Field trips to corporations, regulatory agencies and laboratories
• Social and cultural programs
• Analysis of experience, projects, discussions and presentations in subsequent fall semester